Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sphiatt.com and Seth Hiatt

This is an example of how not to run a business.

My first transaction with them was on eBay. It took about a month for my DVDs to arrive, but they did eventually arrive. I left feedback stating that the shipping was slow, but the price was good. I checked his feedback before my fist purchase and there were a few disgruntled customers, but nobody gets a gazillion feedback ratings without encountering a few problems, and he always seemed to have a good reply - refunded or whatever. Plus, I have the safety net of paypal on my side, right? Turns out he had a website, with even more tempting things. (Hey, I got hooked on some silly little Japanese cartoon! There were lots more episodes to be watched!) Eventually, I placed a second order, this time from his website, again paying with paypal, and after about a month, it also shows up in my mailbox. All's good so far...

The third order is my largest yet, because I figure if it takes a month to get here, I'd better just buy the last 3 seasons and finish this. And this is where I join the ranks of unhappy customer. After a while I realize I didn't get my DVDs, so I go to the website (by this time he has a new and very slick website with forums and live support chat and all that good stuff, so I send some emails, I make a few phone calls, I fill out some customer support tickets. I get no emails back, no phone calls returned, and my customer support tickets are closed without any explanation. I check with paypal and it's no big surprise that I've let it go too long to get any help from them. Ok, that was dumb on my part. A little googling and investigating while I'm waiting for my phone calls to be returned reveals that he's no longer a registered ebay user. That usually means he's failed to deliver to a lot of people on eBay. I also notice that he's changed his paypal email address and that usually means that paypal's processed a few too many chargebacks for me@sphiatt.com. Of course, I don't really know if eBay kicked him off or paypal locked his account or he just decided he liked the new email address better (anime-sales@sphiatt.com, in case you were wondering). I also see Seth making a post on some anime forum explaining that he's had some troubles, but he's fired 2 of his customer support people and everything's wonderful now. So, I try another phone call and file another support ticket and again, no response. Still no stuff. So I more or less give up on getting the the DVDs from SPHiatt and order some of them from a guy on eBid. It did take a couple weeks for them to get here, but I've been waiting on SPHiatt since July 4, 2007, so it's good to finally have it, even if I did have to pay twice.

I still need to buy the last season, and I found a guy on eBay who has it! His user id is ironmorgan2 and his feedback is spotless! But here's where it gets strange... he's located in the same little Utah town as SPHiatt and in some of his listings it says:

"If you have ANY problems with your DVD please email us at anime-sales@sphiatt.com and we will address the problem.  We strive for 100% feedback!  Please email us before you get mad!  Thanks!

Seth"

Yeah, right. Like I didn't email first...

9 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

Wwo, that's awful. I have always been a little afraid of ebay for that reason. So far I've been lucky to have no problems. People like that just have no clue.

I visited your Etsy store by the way, how do you like selling on there?

Unknown said...

Good to found someone got the same problem as mine.
But, Well, I have lucky with paypal as I notice it soon before time running out. So I got my refund.

Anyway I just searching in google, seem like our dear seller have more bad problem for long time.

Anonymous said...

Hello the Homeboy! I found this experience and want to apologize personally. Please email to me@sphiatt.com directly (my personal email address) and I will gladly refund your money for this old order or send you any missing items. I am not in the business of cheating anyone. As for IronMorgan, that is a former employee of mine (Grant) who has also been let go... ironically he started selling DVDs on the side and blatantly copied my auctions, the only problem was he used turbo lister to copy over 1,000 auctions and didn't change the contact info at the bottom of the page. As soon as I found out about that I contacted Ebay and they ended his auctions and suspended his account, he is also no longer working here of course. I am very sorry for your trouble and hope you will email to me@sphiatt.com directly so I can take care of this personally. As I have said I did have some customer service issues back in the fall of 2007 and it sounds like that is when your order was messed up. Anyone else out there with a problem please do the same and feel free to post here with the result! We didn't get to over 63,000 FB on ebay by cheating people! Thanks! -Seth

Anonymous said...

I was also ripped off by Sphiatt , I have done 3 orders. The first was ok just one mistake, wrong dvd sent. The 2nd order was missing 2 dvds which they did nothing about even after the emails. The third order didn't even come at all. I made the orders at the same time otherwise I would not have ordered again after my first order. This was ordered in Feb 4, 8 months ago still nothing from the 3rd order.

Anonymous said...

Also, if you go look over at the boardgamegeek.com forums, there has been plenty of less than desirable transactions (very similar to your own stories) between the users there and Seth. Also, he seems to be in the habit of always having some kind of "my dog ate my homework" excuse.

I just don't understand why it's so impossible for him/his company to simply straighten their act out. People who have bought from him aren't "out to get him", so these laundry lists of complaints are there for a reason.

Anonymous said...

Also from boardgamegeek.com forums is the reviews and customer experiences for Seth;s new company maydaygames. He seems to have really turned things around completely, almost to the point of being overly accommodating.

Glad to see this change, and hope he continues, as they make some pretty awesome custom agricola pieces.

Seth Hiatt said...

Thanks for the follow up comments to all. The offer stands for ANYONE who has any problems at all with any order to email to me@sphiatt.com and I will resolve it ASAP.

Yes certainly some mistakes have been made in the past and I am working hard to ensure they don't happen in the future. Anyone who feels strongly enough to post a comment that isn't "Anonymous" would be more than welcome! Funny how someone's personal blog has turned into a forum on our customer satisfaction. The internet is a funny place!

FaitAccompli said...

And I thought I was the only one,I just wrote a letter,I really did like the great deals they always had and the vast array of Anime and Live Action Asian Dramas Seth sold,It's really too bad ...Here's to hoping for my long past compensation

Anonymous said...

[i] hi, i found this web site and wonder if anyone had any experience or did buy cookbook software from them ?[/i]